For most, living in Colorado is majestic enough. Imagine living in an estate that reflects the design features of a castle, as envisioned by one of the state’s most respected custom home builders.
KC Jones, owner of Cornerstone Custom Homes, Inc., has designed and built more than 120 of Colorado’s most exquisite homes. His wife Janice, who has overseen the interior design of hundreds of new homes during her career in the new home industry, knows exactly how to add an eloquent touch to his craftsmanship. Their combined talents were the driving force behind the “Scottish Castle” they recently built at 10 Blackmer Road in Denver’s pastoral Cherry Hills Village neighborhood.
“Building and designing distinctive homes is what we do,” noted Janice during a recent tour, while pointing out the subtle features, colors, sizes and shapes that make 10 Blackmer such an extraordinary place to live. “One of the things that makes this home special is how cozy it feels, and yet it provides more than 14,000 square feet of living space on nearly 2 ½ acres of land.”
The estate’s private yard backs to a 20-acre Colorado conservancy that includes a wildlife refuge and a beckoning stretch of Denver’s Highline Canal. Foxes, native birds, flowers, plant life, and other friendly forms of Colorado’s natural environment are welcome neighbors here. A rocky stream flows into a pond set comfortably in the backyard, which provides a perfect foundation to the views of the Rocky Mountains.
Granted, most people decide to buy a home in Colorado for the incredible outdoors. But, the interior spaces of 10 Blackmer will easily invite a person back indoors. For example, the spa-like atmosphere of the ladies dressing room includes a winding entry leading to a spacious bathing area and features a designer tub surrounded by Carerra marble, exquisitely hand-crafted cabinetry, and elegant finishes. It is the epitome of any fine private spa.
Every detail inside the home is custom designed. Antique columns welcome visitors to the residence. A mason’s artistic stonework draws people into the unique setting. Looking up, people will take note of a crystal Murano chandelier and other exceptional appointments which frame the entrance into a grand hall perfect for large gatherings or events with friends and family.
“This is a place to share,” Janice said during the tour. “The home was created to bring joy and fulfillment in a very comfortable setting.”
An open-air atrium with a flagstone courtyard, flowering gardens, and natural rocks is the central connection to the main floor living areas. An inviting gathering room with an opulent custom bar makes the setting feel like stepping back in time to an era of elegance and grandeur!
“The interiors are purposely eclectic and random, which keeps things ‘popping’ and coming to life,” exclaims Janice.
10 Blackmer is truly an amazing and inviting estate with unique and interesting features, much like an Old World castle. Secret passageways and a stone turret add to the property’s mystique. The thoughtful design of the custom kitchen, master bedroom, offices, billiard room and rooftop decks, make it a Colorado “castle” unlike any other.
Some of the specific features include:
- An elegant entry welcomes the visitor through double stained glass doors into a magnificent suite of reception rooms
- A refined living room with a natural stone fireplace framed by antique pillars
- An open-air atrium with an interior garden and patio
- A grand hall/dining room features two custom fireplaces, extensive antique wrought iron elements, and soaring 27-foot ceilings
- An inviting gathering room is perfect for entertaining with an elegant custom bar complete with rich woods, slab granite countertops and beautiful stained-glass cabinetry
- A spectacular gourmet kitchen featuring custom cabinets, dual islands with limestone countertops, natural stone walls, a large fireplace with custom wrought iron doors, and state-of-the-art appliances
- An intimate family room with an entertaining area which opens to a large covered porch with a stone fireplace
- A large butler’s pantry and caterer’s kitchen adjacent to the main kitchen
- A grand staircase featuring custom wooden accents
- A warm and sumptuous stately library with high ceilings and a large stone fireplace that overlooks the grand hall and the Front Range
- A master suite which is a haven of luxury and elegance, beautifully appointed with spectacular his-and-her bathrooms and closets, and a large covered deck with a fireplace and breathtaking mountain views
- Four additional en-suite bedrooms
- A private office corridor leading to a caretaker’s apartment with a separate entrance and one-car garage
- An unfinished walk-out opens to an inviting expansive lawn, gardens, waterfall, and pond
- 14,483 finished SF on 2.41 acres with 6 Bedrooms, 9 bathrooms, 9 fireplaces, 6-car attached garage and 1-car detached garage